Jay's Cycle Center started primarily as a pet and hobby shop called Pet Land in Scotch Plains in 1957 owned by "Big Jay" and Jean (aka Mrs Jay) Tintle.
Among the many salespeople that serviced Pet Land, one particularly persistent bicycle sales rep convinced them to give some counter space to small bicycle accessories, which to their surprise sold quite quickly. Sensing a potential opportunity in the bicycle industry, Big Jay and Mrs Jay saved up five hundred dollars (a lot of money in those days), borrowed a truck, drove to a NYC wholesaler and returned with a dozen bicycles. They soon realized they had a knack for the bicycle business.
Within a few years, they had bicycle stores in Plainfield and Westfield, along with the original Scotch Plains location. Raising two children and running multiple stores, it soon became obvious they had to consolidate. So, rather than get rid of the two children, they sold two of the stores, and made Westfield the home of Jay's Cycle Center.
In 1979, Big Jay suffered a stroke, and was only able to work in a limited capacity, but kept his heart in the business. His son, Jay, stepped in to run the business with the help of Mrs. Jay.
In 1984 Jay's Cycle Center moved to its larger location on North Avenue. After fifty plus years of excellent service to the Westfield area, we continue to grow and meet the needs of our highly valued customers. We're proud to be a trusted and respected business within our community.